Get Ready for MD&M West, WestPack, ATX West, and More
This February 12–14, Medical Design & Manufacturing (MD&M) West, WestPack, and ATX West will join sister shows at the Anaheim Convention Center to highlight the latest technologies for medical device manufacturing and packaging as well as pharma packaging and more. MD&M West covers all aspects of medical device manufacturing including packaging; WestPack is a comprehensive packaging event for a number of industries, including pharmaceuticals and medical device packaging; and ATX West covers automation and related technologies.
Conferences begin on February 11 and run throughout the show. One highlight is the Unique Device Identification and Traceability track on Wednesday. Scheduled are the following speakers:
• Jay Crowley, Senior Advisor Patient Safety, FDA, will present “Unique Device Identifier: FDA update and plan for the industry,” in which he will review the proposed rule on UDI and future developments as well as FDA-recommended critical action items for medical device manufacturers to take in order to comply with the UDI rule.
• Jackie Elkin, Global Process Owner - Standard Product Identification, Medtronic, who will present “Industry perspective: Where is the industry at in terms of implementation? The next steps,” in which she will help attendees understand how medical device manufacturers can benefit from UDI as well as the best practices in implementing UDI standards.
• Panel discussion: “Creating a roadmap for UDI compliance from multiple perspectives,” moderated by Karen Conway, Executive Director, GHX, and featuring Jay Crowley, Sr. Advisor Patient Safety, FDA; Jackie Elkin, Global Process Owner - Standard Product Identification, Medtronic; Siobhan O’Bara, Vice President, GS1 Healthcare US; and Joe Pleasant, CIO, Premier.
• MJ Wyllie, Sr. Director Healthcare, GS1 Healthcare US, who will present “Leveraging GS1 standards to comply with UDI
• Dawn Fowler, Sr. Manager of Global Labeling and Document Control, Endologix, in which different labeling technologies will be reviewed including AIDCT, linear bar codes, two-dimensional bar codes, RFID, etc.
MD&M West and WestPack will be co-located with ATX West, PlasTec West, Sustainability in Manufacturing, and more. For more details, visit www.canontradeshows.com.
Exhibitor Product Previews
Medical Band Sealer
Able to seal all medical pouch materials on the market today, a redesigned sealer features a motorized pedestal, a sensor for broken bands, and a wrinkle detector. The Medical Supersealer MBS offers a PLC touchscreen panel for monitoring variables at all times and providing information required for easy calibration and validation. Machine settings can be changed with the touch of a button. The machine also offers an optional Ethernet Connection for recording all pouches being sealed. The Supersealer MBS has an automatic reverse that is triggered should parameters exceed settings. According to the company, the machine never allows a pouch to be sealed out of its parameters. OK International Group, 877-OKI-CORP; www.oksealer.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web Converting and Packaging
A designer and manufacturer of specialty web converting and packaging equipment will be running medical manufacturing demonstrations on its custom converting system. The Delta Mod-Tech will demonstrate a variety of process modules, including rotary die cutting, precise part placement and cold seal pouching. The company offers manufacturing solutions for a variety of complex medical, pharmaceutical, label, security, RFID, packaging, and cosmetic products. Engineers will be on site to discuss specific application requirements. Delta Industrial Services, 800/279-3358; www.deltamodtech.com; email@example.com.